- This event has passed.
Virtual Lecture: Intro to Nez Perce and other Sahaptin languages with Angel Sobotta
May 14 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am$30.00
This two hour interactive lecture with Angel Sobotta will cover:
- Nez Perce and other Sahaptin languages. How close are they? What do they share or what makes them different?
- Accepted linguistic spellings and pronunciations so that we can follow words on maps, words that come up in tribal papers etc.
- Common greetings and place names, especially names of places in Oregon and Idaho.
- Family names–how are they passed down and carried on. What names can a family choose from? Are native names used more now than in previous decades?
- Next steps for those who want to really learn the language.
Angel Sobotta is a Nez Perce mom, dancer, language instructor, and PHd student at the University of Idaho.