- This event has passed.
Capturing Landscapes & Time Photography
July 22, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 6:00 pm, repeating until July 24, 2016
Capturing Landscapes & Times: A Wallowa County Photographic Workshop
This workshop will teach about and explore multiple geologic landscapes in Wallowa County, and consider how to best capture each, including using HDR to produce realistic images, best lenses for landscapes, when to dig out your cell phone, post-processing to achieve your vision.
The workshop requires minimal hiking, but participants will have to scramble across some rough terrain for short distances. Sturdy shoes are a necessity.
Wednesday, June 22: 6 PM-8:30 PM: Capturing wild landscapes.
- Geology of the Wallowas and Hells Canyon.
- Strategies: The three scales of landscape’s story.
- When your cell phone trumps your DSLR, and vice-versa; cell phone amendments.
- Lenses & focal lengths, tripods and other tools for landscapes.
- Techniques & Settings: Aperture, speed, ISO, sensors, and other things.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range), and other specialized techniques)
- The importance of RAW and post processing.
Thursday, June 23: 7 AM- 7 PM (breaks included) Today we will examine three different geologic formations, as well as rivers and their white-water, and consider how the to photograph their landscapes and tell their stories. Includes HDR photography.
Note: Locations are weather and interest-dependent. We’ll incorporate localities of geology of interest to participants as possible. We will have a lunch break and an early afternoon break in Joseph.
- Coffee and overview of the day.
- Morning light and the mountains: (Three scales)
- Basalts and the Imnaha: High noon, steep places.
- Rivers and water: Shutter speeds and ISOs
- Evening light and the moraines (Three scales)
- Night photography (Optional)
Friday, June 24: 5 AM- 4 PM (breaks included) Today we will shoot for about three hours in the early morning (optional), and then adjourn to the Josephy Center to post-process and evaluate our images. Bring your laptop with Lightroom installed (the 30-day trial, if you don’t have the full program.) We will explore workflow for making your image represent your vision. We’ll also explore HDR post-processing, and how to achieve realistic landscapes using this technique.
- Optional morning shoot, 5-8 AM. (Pacific Daylight time…)
- 8 AM-noon: Post-processing using Lightroom, n-One, and other RAW converters, plus dealing with jpgs. Using layers in Photoshop.
- HDR post-processing: from garish to geologic.
- Hyperfocal images.
- Share images and group discussion.